Customer Information


A utility deposit is required for all water and/or sewer service. The deposit is retained by Flagler County and may be applied to the final bill.

Application and Fees
Customers shall complete an Application for Service and submit it in person, along with the appropriate deposit amount, as prescribed in the Fee Schedule.

Transferring Service To Another Address
Deposits will be transferred to a new address — within the same service area — after service at the current customer address is terminated and the bill for that address is paid in full. If the balance of the deposit on the terminated account is less than the new deposit, the customer will be required to pay the difference. The customer must give at least three days notice. A service charge will be applied to the next billing cycle. 

Closing Your Account
Please call Utilities to close an account. Staff will read the meter and send a final bill. Deposits will be applied and any refund due will be mailed separately. This process takes two to four weeks depending on the billing cycle. 

Vacation Cut-Off
Customers may request to temporarily discontinue service if leaving the area for an extended period. Basic fees will be charged, and a service charge will be applied to the next bill to restore service.

Pool Fill Adjustments
Sewer charges can be adjusted following confirmation that a residential pool was filled. Customers must contact the Utilities office before filling a pool to qualify for this adjustment.